ExperiencePhillip

I want people back home to be able to be a part of my life. Therefore, I have created this blog where friends and family can see pictures of me and read some of my thoughts. Enjoy....and Experience Phillip!

Saturday, August 09, 2008

#14

Well, it's been forever since I've updated the blog...i know, I know. So, I thought I would give an update. This summer has been most notably marked so far by the fact that I have moved from Darmstadt to Wiesbaden...that's about a 40 minute drive. Well a new location means a new cell...I mean barracks room. That brings the number of moves I've made in the six years I've been in the Army to 14!!!!! All but one of those 14 places was a barracks room. Of the 9 barracks buildings and 13 rooms I've lived in, this one is tied for the worst with the "Brown water building" (BWB) where I first lived when I moved to Germany. The room itself is better than the one in the BWB because of one fact alone....it's big. The room in the BWB was a sliver of a living space and certainly was not big enough to hold my belongings long term.



The "new" room was filthy, absolutely filthy. I spent more than 4 hours cleaning the refrigerator alone! Yep....FOUR HOURS + !!!! The furniture needed to be replaced by something made in this century, the floor is hopeless, the walls were scuffed and dirty, and the windows (which had no curtains) were filmy from the smoke residue of the previous occupant.






So...what do you do when you get a lemon?



....you make lemonade!!!



Below is some before and after photographic evidence of the lemonade.







So that's it....SO MUCH BETTER!!! I bought the TV, the table, and the cushy chair specifically for this room.

Now, this room doesn't have a kitchen, which greatly limits my cooking options, but I'll survive:(


The next big thing I'll have to blog about will be when I get my new car:) I can't wait!!!!

I should get it sometime in late September!


BMW, baby.....BMW

9 Comments:

  • At August 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great job on the improvements! Does the fact that you bought the TV, table, and chair specifically for the room mean they're staying in the room when you leave?

    Beemer vs. Senator? How can you think of leaving your faithful friend? But, then again, the Beemer would probably like a little exercise and take a cross country trip to see California, tour through Yosemite, and on to Coarsegold!

    Ralph and Martha

     
  • At August 9, 2008 at 11:53 PM , Blogger Phillip said...

    I'll have to make an american out of my German car, so what better way than a cross country trip?

    And no...I'll be taking the furniture with me when I leave this cell.

     
  • At August 10, 2008 at 9:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay, FINALLY!!! Just kidding we are here in Minnesota with everyone but you and Dan's Family. We miss all of you!!! Yes I know I am on vacation yet we have Bob's work laptop that has an internet card, so I am roughing it. I am glad we have it so I got to see your blog.

    Love Amy & Baby #4

     
  • At August 14, 2008 at 1:40 AM , Blogger angela said...

    oh well done. those were some much needed improvements. is it just you in there? does it have a bedroom? or is it a "flat?"

    nice car, by the way.

     
  • At August 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Phillip said...

    It's just me in here. it's just one room plus a bathroom. It's a big room for a barracks, but it's small for an overall living space. I can't wait to have my own place again!!!!

     
  • At August 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Phillip said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At August 18, 2008 at 4:00 AM , Blogger Bop said...

    Well, give that boy his own decorating show. What a great job!! Do you have any ideas for our house?

    What did you do with all the old furniture? No, I don't want it. I just wondered where it went.

    Again, great job! It's satisfying to see the big changes.

     
  • At August 18, 2008 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Phillip said...

    Thanks, Mom. I had the military furniture office trade out all the old stuff the day I moved in. That dark brown furniture was really outdated for a barracks room and really nasty.

     
  • At August 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I LOVE the table! We've actually looked at one very simular. I don't think the boys are quite ready for those stools yet.

    You've done a great job and it was a wonderful suprise on vacation to be able to "hear" from you!

    We miss you!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home