ExperiencePhillip

I want people back home to be able to be a part of my life. Therefore, I have created this blog where friends and family can see pictures of me and read some of my thoughts. Enjoy....and Experience Phillip!

Friday, December 08, 2006

Range Week

This week I spent Monday through Thursday at the range. I was part of the range cadre. I wasn't looking forward to it, but it actually turned out to be a great week! I qualified on the M16A2 rifle on Monday as a "sharpshooter" with 36 hits out of 40. Then on Thursday, I qualified on the M9 pistol as "expert" with a score of 26 hits out of 30. The rifle range was on stationary, paper targets and the pistol range was on pop up targets. Like the name implies, they pop up. There are about 7-8 different target locations and they pop up in a random order. They vary in distance too. I was very happy with the opportunity to qualify on the pistol. It's usually only officers and MPs who get to do that. I had the opportunity since I was part of the cadre for that range.

Here are some pictures from the internet to help you visualize what went on:



The M-9 pistol The M-16A2 rifle
A soldier firing the M-16 at a qualification range. (no, it's not me, but this is what I did) Do you see the ejected cartridge flying through the air? Those puppies are HOT when they land on you. I've had them go down the collar of my uniform before. They give you a nice burn. This happens at the range a lot since the firing positions are so close to each other. The soldier to your right always has to watch out.


This is a stationary paper target. It's similar to the one used for qualifying. The qualification target has ten different targets on it which vary in size to represent differing distances. This one is used to "zero" the weapon. That's where you adjust the rifle to the way you personally are aiming it. Everyone looks through the sights a little bit differently. This helps you "set your preferences" on your weapon. You have to fire 5 out of 6 consecutive rounds into the circle on the black part of the target.


This is an example of a pop-up target. Not all of them are this size, but most of them are. They range in distance from 50 meters to 300 meters on an M-16 range. The distances for the pistol range are, of course, much closer. No one can hit 300 meter targets with a pistol.

Well, I hope this gives you an idea of what I did.

Miss you all

15 Comments:

  • At December 8, 2006 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Bop said...

    I'm impressed. I'll let you be my bodyguard.

     
  • At December 8, 2006 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Phillip said...

    You got it!!

     
  • At December 8, 2006 at 10:41 PM , Blogger lewiscrew5 said...

    The boys said COOL! My uncle plays with guns. After correcting them you were not playing but working I decided they cannot be near guns anytime soon. :) They are so happy you put pictures on the site so they can feel like they are close to you. Sammy wants to come visit you, he does not understand that it is a long way there, he said it is only the amount of time it takes to watch a Veggie tale video. He thinks Germany is Dekalb.

     
  • At December 8, 2006 at 11:37 PM , Blogger angela said...

    well, i'm no nephew, but i think it's cool too! i want to learn! good work, philip!

     
  • At December 9, 2006 at 4:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I am so jealous. I would love to shoot a gun like that! Of course, I am not a highly trained army guy like you. That would probably make a little bit of a difference...like actually hitting the target and not just my nose on the recoil. Ha! I'm sure that painted a funny picture in your head of me getting smacked in the nose with an
    M-16A2 rifle. And yes...I had to go back to your blog page to get the number for the rifle.
    Anyway, it sounds like you had fun and it also sounds like you are a pretty good marksman...again, I am jealous.
    (Sonja said she wants to come play with the guns, too!)

     
  • At December 9, 2006 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    By the way, we realized that you are getting up around the time we are going to bed. That's just weird. (That's assuming that you still have to get up real early in the morning...like 5:00. Maybe that's just a "grunt" thing, I don't know)

     
  • At December 9, 2006 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Phillip said...

    I was getting up at 4:30am last week. This week it will be a little later. More like 5:00 or 5:30. I went to bed rediculously early a couple of times last week too. Being out at the range was exhausting because of the cold (although it's too bad yet) and standing up most of the day. I think I went to bed at about 7:30pm one night. I was still tired the next day too...oh well. I feel great now!

     
  • At December 11, 2006 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Scott and Beth said...

    The thought of Mark with a gun is a little scary...just kidding, Mark!

     
  • At December 11, 2006 at 2:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do all terrorists look like black silhouettes?

     
  • At December 11, 2006 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Phillip said...

    No, some look like green silhouettes:)

     
  • At December 12, 2006 at 1:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It would be cool to be there to see you shoot a gun! In fact I would like to shoot one myself. I can't wait to see you. do you like writing about peeing in a cup?!
    love, Laura Jean (LJ)

     
  • At December 12, 2006 at 2:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Haha. Yes Uncle Mark shooting a gun and getting hit in the nose does paint a pretty hilarious picture in my head... actually it would be pretty funny to paint a picture of that. Sorry Uncle mark but it's true. I wish it was only 30 min. to Germany, but that wouldn't be life. Miss all the fun with you and I wish you could be here for Christmas. But oh well (sigh)
    See ya
    Jonathon (Lil' Jay)

     
  • At December 12, 2006 at 2:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I only wish that i could shoot like that. What am I saying, Idon't even shoot. Oh well, I'm glad that you did so well:) I'm really digging your wheels though. I don't know of too many chicks that would interested though! I finally got caught up on your blog tonight. I haven't gotten to check it in a while. I loved the pictures of your trip to Frankfurt. I especially like the commentary =:) I laughed all the way through it!!
    I miss having you here,but am glad that you are enjoying yourself and getting to do so many things that you enjoy!!
    Love ya bro!!!!
    Tim

     
  • At December 12, 2006 at 2:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Uncle Phillip,

    I learned how to play Skip Bo on Saturday. Have you ever played that?

    I'm going to a play tomorrow, Uncle Phillip. We are leaving at 9:20.

    I liked seeing pictures of your things in Germany. I will see you sometime next summer when I'm 8.

    Love Amber

     
  • At December 12, 2006 at 2:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Last but not least =) I know you've been dying to hear from me! I'm so vain......yes, I think this song is about me.

    Everyone keeps talking about blog this, blog that.....where have we been? Its so fun to read up on your life and read everyone's comments!

    I have to tell ya - Germany looks really neat. I loved hearing Tim read us your experienc at the train station and your trip to Frankfurt!

    Well, gonna start some Christmas shopping tonight - I'm about the last one on earth, I believe who hasn't done anything. I'm scrooge this year =) but I'm happy!!

    Take care, Phillip. We love you a lot and are praying for you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home