ExperiencePhillip

I want people back home to be able to be a part of my life. Therefore, I have created this blog where friends and family can see pictures of me and read some of my thoughts. Enjoy....and Experience Phillip!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

CLS Class: not for the squeamish

This week, I'm in CLS class. CLS stands for Combat Life-Saver. It's four days of basic trauma treatment methods and techniques for use in a combat situation. Tourniquets, Bandages, Treatment for Shock, and the Grand-Daddy of 'em all: I.V. training. I.V. stands for Intravenous...or "inside the vain." Now, this is not my first CLS class, nor is it my first time receiving or giving an I.V. During my short history with CLS classes, I have developed a record of passing out 66.6% of the time when receiving the I.V. Before yesterday, I was at 50%. Below is a photographic record of my experience receiving my I.V. yesterday. I took along my camera with this blog in mind. I knew there was a good chance that things might get interesting. I also knew that if they did, you all would never forgive me for not having pictures to verify it. As a note of personal redemption, I'd like to let everyone know that I'm a CHAMP at giving an I.V. I'm just a sissy when it comes to getting one (not too redemptive I guess). It's odd too, because getting shots has no effect on me whatsoever. Not long ago I had about four in a matter of about one minute. No sweat. Haha you should have seen the sweat on the tile floor when I got up from it yesterday though.Okay...if you don't like the sight of blood (or needles) or don't want to see me getting pale, passing out, and passed out, then stop here. But come on folks...who wouldn't want to see this?!? Have a good laugh...we all did.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*




Okay, I'm ready.

This is attempt #1 (left arm). This one didn't quite take.

OUCH! This is attempt #2 and it took.


This actually was one of the more painful I.V.s that I have received. My squad leader is the one administering it..she did a good job.

I'm smiling, not because I'm enjoying this, but because I was amused at what was going on inside my head. Like I said, this was a very painful "stick" and it was all I could do to control my tongue. I hear swearing all day long, every day and I usually do very well at not conforming to that kind of speech, but at that moment it was very hard to keep up the resistance. It just amused me how strong the urge was to swear (and there was one particular word on the very tip of my tongue). Maybe you had to be inside my head to appreciate that moment, but it did make me laugh. Nieces and Nephews, swearing is not good, but I'm sure your parents can explain to you that sometimes bad words that go in your ears all the time, sometimes come out of your mouth by accident. This time it didn't.

Still doing okay, but starting to feel kind of hot.

Uh oh, Did he just look at that blood? Not a good idea. Now I'm feeling very hot.


Where did all the color go in Phillip's face? Oh yeah, it followed the blood when it left his head to find a new home lower in his body. I think this photo might actually show the exact moment that I lost consciousness.

Continue on to the next posting for the continuation...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home